Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Blog Anxiety


I've been thinking about starting a blog for quite a while now. Sadly, I know nothing about blogging. I'm not a great writer, I don't know HTML, and I've had a really hard time focusing my ideas into anything even approximating cohesion. Then I proposed to my lady :) And after the Congrats! balloons deflated, I stopped telling the proposal story to everyone I saw, and we started Planning the Wedding, I realized that all of the things I'd been wanting to write about are all connected to this amazing and overwhelming process we're beginning--because you can't plan a wedding without dealing with family, and you can't plan a gay wedding without dealing with identity.

I'm gay. I have a gay sister. Sometimes this is complicated.

Linds and I come from very different backgrounds and have very different families. Sometimes this is complicated.

Strangers and even people we care about can be ignorant and hurtful. That's always complicated.

We live in Michigan, a state with zero protections for le gays. No marriage, no civil unions--not even an anti-discrimination law. This isn't particularly complicated, but it IS stupid.

Finally, we're planning a wedding! We are two relatively sane women trying to plan a meaningful, beautiful celebration on a tight budget in the midst of the madness of the wedding industry. And that is VERY complicated.

So please do me a solid and be patient with me as I try to figure out how to make this thing pretty, and forgive me if (when) my blog anxiety results in awkward attempts at humor/decent writing/wisdom. Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet!


3 comments:

  1. Proud to be the first comment on your inspired foray into blogland. You have a fan for life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well put Michelle! I too am a fan for life and am also very honored to be a topic on a blog!!! Ha

    I am very proud of you and I hope that you find joy,peace and healing with every word you type.

    Lmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first post little sister -- can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete